Monday, June 4, 2012

Back To Play

Most  people  will  say  they  have  to  go  back  to  work  after  a  little  vacation,  but  this  isn't  work  for  me--it's  always  playtime.   And  this  is  the  time  of  the  year  when  I  get  into  serious  play  mode.   Next  month  my  show  season  starts  up--so  I've  been  getting  busy. 

Last  week  for  the  Memorial  Day  holiday  we  went  to  visit  our  son  in  New  York  City--always  a  fun,  but  exhausting  time.   We  wanted  to  go  when  it  wasn't  too  hot  or  too  cold--everyday  was  close  to  90  degrees  when  we  went  this  time...............so  I  guess  that  plan  didn't  work  out  too  well,  but  it  was  still  a  good  time.   

Our  son  always  takes  us  around  to  places  that  we've  never  been  before,  but  one  place  that  I  always  go  back  to  is  a  store--The  Ink  Pad--a  VERY  cool  stamp  (and  more)  store--


.....some  of  my  purchases--the  Lynne  Perrella  stamps  I'm  swooning  over.....and  I've  been  using  them  in  my  new  pieces  that  I've  just  made--


These   are  on  6 x 6  gallery  canvases--they're  very  popular  and  affordable....



                                                                                                    

.....I  really  like  working  with  these  deep  edge  canvases  too--they  add  so  much  more  to  the  piece...



.....this  is  a  good  start---there's  more  to  come...

Another  place  that  I  want  to  mention  that  we  went  to  when  we  were  there  was  a  flea  market  in  Brooklyn--that  was  fun..  and  just  like  any  other  flea  market--pretty  reasonable  prices  and  lots  of  haggling....


I  found  lots  more  too,  but  without  a  car,  it  was  impossible.   You  see  the  watch  and  clock  parts,  the  keys,  and  the  little  bulbs  and  those  tin  type  photos (I  think  that's  what  they  are)?  I  found  these  all  at  one  booth--they  had  hundreds  of  items  like  this--I  would  have  been  happy  if  this  was  the  only  booth  there!

And  there's  one  more  place  that  I  have  to  mention--the  9/11  Memorial.   It's  pretty  hard  to  describe  the  feeling  when  you're  there  or  even  capture  a  photo  to  explain--


This  is  one  of  the  two  Memorial  Pools  there.   Each  one  is  placed  where  the  towers  were.    They  are  the  exact  size  of  the  tower  bases--if  you  look  at  the  upper  area  of  this  photo,  you  can  see  the  people  standing  there.   This  gives  you  an idea  of  how  large  these  are  and  the  magnitude  of  this  tragedy.   There's  a  30  foot  waterfall  inside  of  the  pools   that  falls  into  a  void  and  you  can  see  the  name  of  one  of  the  victims  in  the  photo  here.   All  of  the  names  of  the  victims  from  the  9/11  attacks  and  the  1993  World  Trade  Center  attack  are  inscribed  around the  entire  border  of  the  pools.    It's  a  beautiful  memorial,  and  if  you  ever  get  a  chance--to  go  visit.


37 comments:

Bren Graham Thebeau said...

The memorial is quite overwhelming, even in a picture...
Love all your finds, so much fun. And of course your new pieces are wonderful, I'm sure you are going to have great success at your shows and fairs :-)

Cathy Bueti said...

Diane, glad to to hear you had a great vaca in NYC! So close to me!!

THat sounds like a great store. I will have to get there someday.

Love these new pieces!!

Beautiful photo of the memorial site.

Thanks for all your lovely comments on my posts lately. I am slowly feeling better.

xo

Carol Rigby said...

What a lovely pic of the memorial site I think it is a beautiful tribute. It must be a very moving site to see in person. Your art work looks greatand I love the stamps.

Liverpool Lou (Anne) said...

Fabulous canvasses, great flea market finds and the memorial pool is a wonderful thing :-)
Anne x

Stephanie said...

I love your canvases. The colors are terrific and the deeper canvases do add a lot. Nice work.

Lisa Graham said...

Can't wait to see what you made during your busy season.

We were at the memorial last June but the pools were not open yet...they are so big. I hope to visit the site again when we go back. I did not know they were going to put all their names around the fountains...I am so glad they did that.

Has your son ever taken you to Brooklyn for Grimaldi's Pizza? It's the best I have ever had.

jinxxxygirl said...

Can you use someone elses stamps on a piece and then sell it?? That kind of questionable stuff always drives me crazy......as i would like to sell my crafts at some point i would love to hear your answer....Personally i think we should have built the buildings right back the way they were.

Isabel said...

What awesome finds!!!! My son will be going for the first time to NY on a mission in July, I know the weather will be HOT!!! Thanks for sharing love the art always inspire me:O)

Janie Husband said...

thanks for sharing, diane.....it was "fun" as usual........

Kathy said...

It sounds like a wonderful trip and thank you for sharing your photos of the memorial.
From the looks of the goodies you got in that one booth I would have been tempted to just abandon my clothes in the hotel and fill up my suitcase - LOL!

Melanie Statnick said...

Hi there ! Your making me want to go back to NY. I loved Ithica and I'm looking into another visit over the summer perhaps. I looked at the store Ink Pad and It looks like their online store will be up and running soon!. I learning to work on the sides of my canvases too. It does add more then just a trad. "painted sides"

Anonymous said...

I love every little thing you do and these are no exception! I always say I'm working when I know it's playing, hehe. Don't tell it's a secret!

I saw the dedication to the memorial on TV but your photo really puts it in perspective.

Rebeca Trevino said...

sounds like a great trip! love the brooklyn flea market finds - great job.

and the photo of the 911 memorial is amazing. thanks for sharing it.

wandamarie.blogspot.com said...

i am coming over to play! stupendous work! and thank you for that beautiful pool shot...how heart wrenchingly gorgeous that someone came up with this idea! leaving you alone now, so you can get busy creating :) xoxo

Kelly said...

Hi Diane. Lovely play things you have picked up. I can't wait to see all the things you create with them ~ I love all of your work.
The Memorial must have been very emotional to see. I have heard it is pretty spectacular.
Hugs and blessings.
Kelly

Becca said...

Love, love your artwork with all of your cool finds! And...wonderful photo of the memorial. Thanks for sharing!

Šolanje na domu-Waldorf said...

Lots of goodies to drool over. :) Fantastic canvases, Diane! :)

Art Play Today said...

Glad you had a great trip, I love your fun finds and your artwork as usual looks amazing! I had never seen photos of the memorial before, thanks for sharing that! Have a great week!
Kristen

Jen @Sadie Inspired said...

I love your canvases! Ohhh, and all those yummy finds - so great. It sounds like an amazing place to go. I have never been to NYC, but I hope to get there one day. Thank you for the picture of the memorial. So moving.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

What lovely canvases. They are great and remind me of the blocks I was playing with before I stopped making art in April. Can't seem to get in my groove. Glad it hasn't happened to you.

I visited the WTC when it was still standing, and I have read everything about the memorial. I hope to get to NYC again one day, because I really want to see this tribute to all those who died there.

Dorthe said...

Dear Diane, it must be difficult being on this place,where so many people lost theire lives---but beautiful memorial it is.
Your canvases are stunning again,and I love how you used L.Perella`s fantastic stamps.
Hugs to yuo,Diane.
Dorthe

Healing Woman said...

You've done wonders with all the great finds at the flea market in NY and from that great stamping store. Would love to see it-must be like a kid in a candy store feeling.

The memorial is quit breathtaking. I have not seen it yet but your picture is very good.

WrightStuff said...

More reasons to plan a trip to NYC!

Anonymous said...

how fabulous about nyc!
delightful about your
stamp finds n creations!
+ prayer/silence/re: memorial.
xox

Unknown said...

Love these. I have never been to the 9/11 Memorial, and the photo you shared just took my breath away. Thanks for sharing this.

Tammie Lee said...

it looks and sounds as though you had a wonderful visit. so happy for you. 90F is hot! Especially when most days here are not.

your art looks wonderful.

Shari said...

Your artwork is way cool. Thanks for sharing.

Kim Mailhot said...

Some beautiful momentos you got there, Diane !
Looks like you had a very memorable trip.

Kristin said...

Oh wow! That memorial DOES look amazing - something to see for sure. And I love your new goods! So sweet of your son to take you around to all the coolest places.
LOVING what you did with them too.
Oh! And I saw your piece in Gallery today - it looks wonderful, xoxo

Cameron said...

Wow....that Memorial is breathtaking....how huge and amazing they must be in person....

...and your new art...drool...gorgeous!! So fun to get new goodies to spark the imagination!

Patti Edmon Artist said...

Those 6x6 pieces are beyond fabulous - I love the detail, the color, the... everything! And I must say the flea market photo (and the one from the shop) is incredible - such finds!! I'm always looking for 'stuff' and it's one of those things, can't have too much?

Your visit to the memorial must have been quite an experience... thank you so much for sharing.

sharon said...

I am swooning over your stamps...looove! And I love your deep canvases, they are so so cool Diane!
My brother lives in Brooklyn, I have not been to his new place yet, but I keep hearing about the flea, I can't wait, you got some awesome finds!

Rosie said...

Yes I;d have grabbed those stamps too, and love what you've done with them. I had no idea the memorial site looked quite like that - deeply impressive but terribly sad.

GlorV1 said...

The memorial is a great tribute. What wonderful pieces you do. I always love your work. Have a wonderful weekend and thank you Diane.

Joyce van der Lely said...

Oh Diane, you always find these gorgeous things on your market hunts :) wish I could come along one day..... work hard my friend ! you create marvelous stuff !!!

E Makes Art said...

One day I'll get to NY! Looks like a nice trip. Your stash from the Ink Pad is great...my eye immediately went to that stencil!! I'm a stencil junkie and I love that Moroccan pattern... sigh... Lovely art as always!

xoE

Connie said...

Diane, your art is fab! And your shopping trips while in New York, what wonderful finds. I can hardy wait to see what your creative mind come up with using them. Have a lovely whimsy week, Connie :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails